FOOD. SPACE. DESIGN. Reimagining the kitchen and hawker centre
23 November, Wednesday
Class runs on barter and interest! -- *Class will only run if there are at least 7 people. You'll be notified by Tuesday night if class proceeds.
How does space shape the experiences we can have? For intimate, cosy settings for a gathering of friends and family. Or a space where food can be made and shared with others, without unplugging from the conversation happening in the living room.
As we seek more freedom, less structure, and more spaces for tranquility, creativity, and play in our daily lives, how should we design our spaces differently?
From what we eat to how we learn to cook, we take you on a mapping journey of the role that food plays in our lives--as a memory trigger of childhood and daily experiences, in leading you on food hunts and grocery-shopping for the best prices, and in the way your food spaces at home and in public are designed. Let’s stop. Think. Doodle a little. With each other’s senses and eyes, we’ll have a look at what our food culture in Singapore is, and how private and public spaces can be reimagined to integrate emerging desires, values or needs as residents of this country.
Nithiya of Brunch Bandits, who joins us to speak about how she chooses spaces and atmospheres for each brunch takeover, and how space has influenced the way she works with and prepares food.
Things we'd like to barter for:
- Pictures of your favourite food spaces (private or public, indoors or outdoors, concrete or green, in Singapore or beyond)
- A story and/or sketch of your living route on a typical day, what spaces you pass through and where food comes into the picture. Smells? Touch? Sight?
- Tales from kitchens or eating spaces you've been in around the world
- Professionally shot photographs or architectural designs (blueprints etc) of innovative food spaces
- Information, images or studies you've found of how spaces, design, community and learning intersect
Scene from "Lunchbox" (2013): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2350496/
- The event description was updated. Diff 2016-11-21 15:10:36
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM SGT
- The Substation, Gallery
Get a seat! I'll barter you something I'll barter you something and I want a seat
On sale until Nov 23, 2016, 12:34:00 PM
- Venue Address
- The Substation, 45 Armenian St, Singapore 179936 Singapore
Enter the Substation via the main door (it's been converted slightly but it's still open). Enter the gallery--door's on the right when you enter.
Foodscape Collective73 Followers